Grilled Asparagus with Green Peppercorn Vinaigrette
Recipe From: Bobby Flay, 2007
Makes: 4 cups
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons green peppercorns in brine, drained
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons canola oil
Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified and stir in the peppercorns. Let the vinaigrette sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. Vinaigrette can be made up to 8 hours in advance and refrigerated. Heat the grill to high. Toss asparagus with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Place grilled asparagus on a platter and drizzle the vinaigrette over the top.
(From the week of 05/18/10)
Pizza with Oma, Asparagus and Tomato
Recipe from Von Trapp Farmstead
1 pre-made pizza crust rolled out and ready for topping
8-10 spears of asparagus, steamed, cooled and sliced in half lengthwise
4 tablespoons pesto
14 cherry tomatoes, halved
Small handful of fresh basil leaves
½ of an Oma, sliced
(Oma is our Cave to Co-op Cheese of the Month, made from raw organic cow milk)
Sea salt and pepper
Spread the pesto over the pizza dough, almost to the edges. Evenly scatter the asparagus, cheese, tomato and basil leaves over the pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the topping is brown and the crust is crisp. Slice and serve.
(From the week of 05/11/10)
"Jerk" Turkey Burger
Recipe From: EatingWell: July/August 1993
Makes: 4 cups
1/3 cup couscous
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, (1/2 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
12 ounces ground turkey
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns or English muffins, split and toasted
4 slices tomato
4 lettuce leaves
1. Combine couscous and water in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, thyme, curry powder, cumin, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
3. Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
4. Combine turkey, the couscous and the bell-pepper mixture in a medium-sized bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If using the grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip) or oil the broiler pan. Grill or broil the patties until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side. Place on buns (or English muffins) and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
(From the week of 05/04/10)
Pork Fajitas with Mango
Recipe From: Marge Perry, Cooking Light, January, 2007
Makes: 4 servings.
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch strips
2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper, (about 1 medium)
2 cups julienne-cut green bell pepper, (about 1 medium)
1 cup thinly sliced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
8 (8-inch) low-fat flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups diced mango (about 1)
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1. Combine juice, cumin, and pork in a medium bowl, tossing well to coat. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan.
3. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add peppers and onion; cook 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and pork; cook for 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and sugar; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
4. Warm the tortillas according to package instructions. Serve pork mixture withtortillas, mango, and sour cream